Sunday, September 30, 2012

Fancy by Vanna B.

Read in: September, 2012
Format: Ebook
Source: Won through Freado.com
Star Rating: ★★★

fan·cy/ˈfansē/: elaborate in structure or decoration.


Synopsis: (from Goodreads.com)
Maribel “Fancy” Alvarez is a trendy socialite who has it all: enviable looks, popularity and a closet full of designer threads. She lives an amazing life. At least that’s what she’s led everyone to believe. Fancy goes to great lengths to keep up a façade of perfection, but when a series of unfortunate events rattles her world, everything begins to fall apart.

She’s always been taught to use what she’s got to get what she wants but deep down inside Fancy knows there is truly more to her than just a beautiful face and perfect body. Will she abandon the superficial lifestyle she’s come to know or succumb to the temptation of the almighty dollar?

Fancy chronicles the life of a woman torn between the person she is and the person she wants to be. This iconic story will resonate with readers who, like Fancy, have battled issues within, as well as outside influences, while struggling to find themselves amidst a world of chaos.

Prosecution: 
As with many debut novels, NO CONTRACTIONS. The character was immature and really seemed to take after her mother. I didn't like how she just completely dropped out of college once she found out she was pregnant, that was kind of random.

Defense: 
I LOVEDDD the story line! We watch as Fancy flounders through life. Then, suddenly, she's thrust into a situation where it's not just her anymore. The ending was amazing! I can't wait for the next book! The wake up call she receives is a well needed one and although I'd have loved to see more of a growth in the character, her mindset will hopefully evolve sooner rather than later. 

Verdict: 
A perfect step into Urban Fiction. Just from reading the synopsis, I really didn't believe I'd like it. Hence, why it too me so long to get to it. But I finished the book in about an hour and I must say I'm glad I read it! Just can't wait for the next book to find out what happens to Maribel/Fancy or if she comes into contact again with Trinity, Brittany, or Aaron. Vanna B. has laid the stepping stones to a great saga, one I will be looking forward to! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...